The Dr. Calvin Martin Memorial Scholarship Trust Fund Inc, a non-profit charitable organization, was named in memory of its founder Dr. Calvin Martin. His passion was a love for education. He fulfilled this by demonstrating his pedagogical skills as a teacher and administrative skills as a New York City Public School Principal.
His career allowed him to develop a unique perspective on the American Education System.
The mission of the Scholarship Trust Fund is to educate African American Male Students through a scholar and mentorship program, to achieve higher academic excellence.
The scholarships are available to students who demonstrate high academic achievements in high schools, colleges/and or universities. They must be born in the USA and reside in the Tri-State area of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
The amount of $100,000 will be awarded each year in scholarships. A maximum of $10,000 will be awarded each year per student who is attending a four-year college or university program/or graduate school.
Applicants must choose a major in the following field: education, business, and law, medicine, architecture, engineering and creative arts.
Applicants must be graduating high school students, unmarried and between the ages of sixteen (16), through twenty-five (25) years old. (Please note that these scholarships are available to African American males only).
• The deadline for submission of scholarship applications is May 30th, 2014.
• All applications and submitted materials become the property of Dr. Calvin Martin Memorial Scholarship Fund and will not be returned.
• Applicants may be born in any of the fifty, (50) states, but must demonstrate legal residence in the Tri-State of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut at the time of applying for scholarships.
• Applicants who are awarded scholarships will be notified in writing.
• Recipients of a CMMSTF scholarship are expected to enroll as a full-time undergraduate student as defined by one of the undergraduate institutions listed below, no later that the opening fall semester of high school graduation.
• Scholarships will be awarded to students attending the following colleges or universities below, as well as any other school of their choice.
1. Columbia University, New York, NY.
2. Buffalo State University, Buffalo, New York.
3. Howard University, Washington, DC.
4. State university of New York at Binghamton, Binghamton, New York.
5. Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut.
6. Morehouse College, Atlanta, Georgia.
7. Fisk University, Nashville, Tennessee.
8. Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
• Applicants must submit with their applications all required supporting documentation and an essay or letter describing what they are currently studying.
• An official high school transcript. (In order for a high school student to qualify for a scholarship, applicant must achieve an average of 85% or higher on his cumulative grade point average and must score a minimum of 1,800, on the Scholastic Achievement Test. Scores under 1800 WILL NOT be eligible or considered, regardless of your academic or extra-curricular achievement.
• A photocopy of your birth certificate verifying birth in the United States of America and a photograph of applicant.
• Proof of legal residence in the Tri-State area of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut at least one year prior to application.
• Telephone and/or in-person interview may be necessary as part of the final selection process, by the CMMSTF, Scholarship Committee.
• For an application, please email Linda Mann at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email address, SAT score (no ACT accepted. Sorry!) & GPA. After preliminary screening to ensure eligibility, an application will be emailed to you.
The estate of Dr Calvin Martin was bequeathed to the Dr. Calvin Martin Scholarship Trust Fund Inc, a non-profit charitable organization and not to any individual, school, college or university.
Ten schools have been selected to administer these scholarships to recipients, of the scholarship trust fund awards.
The CMMSTF Scholarship Committee reserves the right to add or cancel any schools/colleges/universities from the CMMSTF approved list, at any time and without notice.
Dr. Calvin Martin Memorial Scholarship Trust Fund
Attn: Linda Mann
P.O. Box 914
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004